The March 8th Nintendo Direct was, overall, nothing hugely special. But then right at the very end… they changed the ball game. Here are my top 4 Nintendo Direct announcements.
A quick rundown of all the news I’m not too excited about:
- Some new 3DS games (Wario Ware, Captain Toad, etc)
- More Super Mario Aces news
- Dark Souls Praise the Sun Amiibo
- Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy
- South Park: The Fractured But Hole
- No More Heroes information
- Undertale (I’ve played it on PC, so not too fussed)
We got some cool release dates for upcoming games:
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole on April 24th
- Hyrule Warriors dropping on May 18th.
- Crash Bandicoot spinning in on the 10th of July
- Octopath Traveler on the 13th of July
- And in a shock twist (surprising no-one) Captain Toad on July 13th.
Okami HD is finally coming to Nintendo consoles (again). I myself have never had the opportunity to play Okami, so I’m excited to finally get the chance to play it. Okami, for those unaware, is a well renowned adventure action game where you play as Amaterasu in a beautiful artistic world.
So, we’re getting some old maps from Splatoon 1, some costumes… Oh and a whole new single player experience. We’re also finally getting the ability to play as an Octoling!
My excitement at this point in the video went from “Oh cool” to “Oh dayum“, albeit very gradually. The Splatoon 2 section showed off both new editions to the game and also a new paid DLC: in the form of the story mode. If you complete the paid DLC you can then play as an Octoling in Splatoon 2: multiplayer. I think this is a positive solution to the need to charge money in order to support the game’s existence, but it also means it doesn’t interrupt the online multiplayer community.
FINAL SMASHES AT THE READY
After the Splatoon 2 part of the direct… it happened. We saw it: the symbol we’ve all been waiting for (for well over a year). Super Smash Bros is finally heading to Nintendo Switch this year! What’s more exciting is that we are getting Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy as playable characters.
And that was it: started off a little slow, but ending in an exciting plethora of things to come! Are you ready? Because I’m still not!
Remember to tweet us on twitter, guys!